Forum

Official 5G thread (all networks)  

RSS
Jonathan Morris
(@jmcomms)
Member Admin

I thought it a good idea to create a generic 5G thread for comparison discussions that don't fit on a specific network.

I've now got a 5G handset on Vodafone and EE and will be going around testing and comparing. My experience so far is that both are very much similar, but some way off the crazy killer speeds that were hyped up ahead of 5G launching.

Of course we don't have the high-frequency mmWave stuff here, so those killer speeds may be some way off at least until we get the next generation of 5G modems on handsets.

Here's my first comparison test - a very simple and short test in a small part of London.

Posted : 29/08/2019 4:17 pm
Topic Tags
Wilt
 Wilt
(@wilt)

Are you able to get on to Three's 5G network with a handset yet, or is it restricted to the 5G router?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2019 10:05 pm
Jonathan Morris
(@jmcomms)
Member Admin

@wilt

Not tried yet. Think it may not work as the handsets Three sell are 5G 'ready'. I've read elsewhere the broadband stuff is using 5G spectrum set up for the broadband provider Three bought and isn't fully integrated with Three's own network.

Not sure if that's true or I misread, but it seems unlikely using a 5G phone would work yet. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2019 11:06 pm
Wilt liked
Share:

Advertisements