Forum

Advertisements
Huawei Mate 30 seri...

Huawei Mate 30 series - launched September 19th 2019  

RSS
(@jmcomms)
Member Admin

September 19th is the launch date for the new Mate 30 series.

https://jmcomms.com/2019/09/03/huawei-confirms-september-19th-launch-for-mate-30-series-in-germany/

Are you excited? What about Google services? Will this issue be sorted in time, either at the launch or before the handsets go on sale?

Would not having Google services, even if you can sideload, be a deal breaker?

Posted : 03/09/2019 4:18 pm
 Wilt
(@wilt)

This would likely have made the shortlist for my upgrade in October but without Google services then it's dead in the water...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2019 5:07 pm
 Dave
(@dave)
Eminent Member

Huawei are going to struggle with new devices if they don’t get Google services sorted for them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2019 5:23 pm
 Dave
(@dave)
Eminent Member

Quite pricey, especially as it’s been confirmed that the devices won’t have any Google services installed.

€799 for the Mate 30
€1099 for the Mate 30 Pro
€1199 for the Mate 30 Pro 5G version
This post was modified 2 months ago by Dave
ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2019 4:49 pm
(@jmcomms)
Member Admin

It seems adding Google services is a pretty quick and painless experience.. I suspect Huawei has helped make it so!

See the video at the end of my first impressions story.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2019 9:13 pm
 Dave
(@dave)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @jmcomms

It seems adding Google services is a pretty quick and painless experience.. I suspect Huawei has helped make it so!

I’ve seen that, but I wouldn’t rely on a side loading method to guarantee GPay, my banking apps, SkyGo, Netflix, PrimeVideo, iPlayer etc will still all work properly.

What happens if Google do decide to block all sign in on non-certified devices if the US forces them to?

It’s all just too risky for a £800+/£1000+ phone, if it was a sub-£200 phone, maybe...

This post was modified 2 months ago by Dave
ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2019 11:07 pm
 Dave
(@dave)
Eminent Member

Google has proactively closed the side loading loophole that Huawei had developed to install Gapps and services.

Huawei Mate 30 phones apparently lose backdoor access to Google apps

Huawei's new Mate 30 phones reportedly lost their ability to install Google's Android apps, Bloomberg reported, eliminating a workaround for President Donald Trump's ban on the controversial Chinese company.

Security researcher John Wu outlined the process that let Huawei Mate 30 owners manually download and install major apps Google Maps and Gmail. This method, which used an app called LZPlay, apparently no longer works, and Bloomberg reported that only Google is able to make that kind of change.

https://www.cnet.com/news/huawei-mate-30-phones-apparently-lose-backdoor-access-to-google-apps/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2019 4:45 pm
(@jmcomms)
Member Admin

Apparently there's already a new way to do it. I've been given a link to an APK but have no phone to try it on!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2019 5:59 pm
(@hecatae)

Apparently there's already a new way to do it. I've been given a link to an APK but have no phone to try it on!

Would you trust a phone with a known backdoor?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2019 8:43 pm
 Dave
(@dave)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @hecatae

Would you trust a phone with a known backdoor?

It's even worse, tbh, it's a phone with a backdoor that you've given up remote admin rights to an unknown Chinese entity.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/10/2019 12:07 am
Share:

Advertisements