Apple launches trio of iPhone 11 handsets, plus a new Apple Watch with always-on display (updated)
Apple has today launched three new iPhone 11 models, consisting of the dual-camera iPhone 11 and two triple-camera models, the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max.
The iPhone 11 is deemed the successor to the iPhone XR, and comes with a 6.1-inch notched display.
On the rear is a 12-megapixel standard camera that’s accompanied by a 12-megapixel wide-angle camera.
Video recording is 4K on all cameras, at up to 60 frames per second (even the front-facing selfie camera).
A new night mode uses adaptive bracketing to improve low-light photography.
The iPhone 11 is powered by Apple’s A13 Bionic SoC, with battery life improved by one hour over the current iPhone XR. It also gets an IP rating of 68, compared to last year’s IP67 rating on the XR.
Pricing starts at £729 for the 64GB model, rising to £879 for the 256GB model, and the phone will be available from EE, Three, Vodafone and O2 amongst others from September 20th (pre-ordering opens 13th September at 1300).
Take photos like a pro
The two Pro models – the 5.8-inch iPhone 11 Pro and the 6.5-inch iPhone 11 Pro Max – each sport an impressive triple-camera setup that takes aim at the many Android phones that have already entered the same multi-camera space with triple and even quad-camera configurations.
The cameras are a 12-megapixel wide-angle f/1.8 camera top-left, a 12-megapixel telephoto f/2.0 camera bottom-left, and a 12-megapixel ultra-wide f/2.4 camera on the right.
Like the iPhone 11, a new Night Mode improves low-light photography and all cameras can capture 4K 60fps video.
However, in addition to this new mode comes another feature (that will come at a later stage) called ‘Deep Fusion’ and combines nine separate images into one.
A faster 18-watt charger will be included in the box this time around so you won’t have to pay extra, which is probably a good thing given the starting price for the iPhone 11 Pro will be £1049 (64GB), rising to £1399 (512GB), and the iPhone 11 Pro Max at £1149 (64GB), rising to £1499 (512GB).
Like the iPhone 11, the pro models will go on sale September 20th with pre-ordering open on 13th September at 1300. Both models will also be available from EE, Three, Vodafone and O2.
Keeping watch over you
In addition to these, Apple has also launched its fifth-generation Apple Watch series, which now sports a new always-on display that adjusts automatically to increase and decrease the screen brightness and offer all-day (18 hour) battery life.
According to Apple, new location features, from a built-in compass to current elevation, help users navigate their day, while a new international emergency calling feature (on the version with cellular connectivity) allows owners to call the emergency services in over 150 countries without having an iPhone nearby.
The same emergency calling feature will work if detecting a fall and remaining motionless for around a minute.
The new Apple Watch Series 5 will be on sale from September 20th, with a wide range of materials (including alumininum, staintless steel, ceramic and titanium) and colours available to choose from.
Prices start from £399 for the GPS model and £499 for the GPS+Cellular version.
More info with full specifications: Apple
- iPhone 11 plans from £48 per month.
- iPhone 11 Pro plans from £65 per month.
- iPhone 11 Pro Max plans from £70 per month.
- Apple Watch Series 5 for £28 per month, including unlimited data.
- New iPad 4G for £30.60 per month with 2GB data allowance.
- Range of passes that can be added (or bundled as swappable benefits on selected plans) including a music pass, video pass, BT Sport app, Roam Further pass, Gamer’s Data pass and Amazon Prime Video.
- iPhone 11 plans starting from £55 per month with unlimited data, or £41 per month with 4GB data.
- iPhone 11 Pro plans from £69 per month with unlimited data, or £55 per month with 4GB data.
- iPhone 11 Pro Max plans from £73 per month with unlimited data.
- Promotions available with bundle offers with AirPods and Beats Solo3.
- Vodafone’s ’12 month upgrade promise’ allows the upgrade of your iPhone to any other handset after 12 months with no early upgrade fee.
- Get the iPhone 11 with 1GB of data for £33 a month (£99 upfront fee) when you trade in your old iPhone.
- iPhone 11 plans from £45 per month.
- iPhone 11 Pro plans from £57 per month.
- iPhone 11 Pro Max plans from £63 per month
- Choose Spotify Premium, Amazon Prime Video, Sky Sports Mobile or NOW TV passes for an additional fee.
- Next day click and collect service for orders placed up to 10pm.