We all know the saying, “if it ain’t broke..” and here’s the perfect example of not ruining a winning formula, with the new Oppo Find X5 series that’s headed up by the Find X5 Pro.
Last year’s Find X3 Pro was quite the performer, itself an upgrade from my 2020 phone-of-the-year Find X2 Pro, and now the Find X5 Pro has been announced (alongside the Find X5 and Find X5 Lite), which retains much of the Find X3 Pro design language and hardware.
What Oppo has however managed to do is give the device a number of relatively subtle changes under the hood to boost an already exceptional device.
Things like an even more power efficient display, Qualcomm’s flagship SoC for the ultimate performance, improved camera lenses, a new dedicated MariSilicon X Neural Processing Unit (NPU) chip to improve the performance of the camera, especially in low-light, a new Sony IMX709 sensor on the front for improved selfies, faster wired charging (now up to 80W, with the same 50W wireless charging from last year’s model), and a bigger 5,000mAh capacity battery.
As announced earlier in the year, Oppo has now teamed up with Hasselblad for the latest Find X series – an association that will run for a minimum of three years. This adds in some unique camera features and modes.
Oppo Find X5 Pro Sample Photos
The company also launched the Snapdragon 888 powered Find X5, featuring the same dual 50-megapixel cameras, MariSilicon X NPU, 80W wired charging and 30W wireless charging – and a Find X5 Lite powered by MediaTek’s Dimensity 900 SoC.
Finally, the company expanded its audio accessories with the new Oppo Enco X2 wireless earbuds, produced in collaboration with Dynaudio, and on the wearables side comes the Oppo Watch Free.
Pricing and Availability
The Oppo Find X5 series devices will be available to pre-order from March 10th.
- The Oppo Find X5 Pro will be available in Glaze Black and Ceramic White from March 24th priced at £1,049
- The Oppo Find X5 will be available in Black and White from March 24th priced at £749
- The Oppo Find X5 Lite will be available in Starry Black and Startrails Blue from March 24th priced at £419
- The Oppo Enco X2 will be available from April 15th priced at £169
- The Oppo Watch Free will be available from March 24th priced at £89
OPPO Launches Find X5 Series – Revolutionising Videography with 4K Ultra Night Video Powered by MariSilicon X Imaging NPU
- The most advanced camera system powered by MariSilicon X and two IMX766 flagship sensors; true billion-colour 120Hz display; a flagship SoC platform with superior 5G performance; industry leading 80W SUPERVOOC Flash Charging; the iconic Hasselblad Natural Colour Calibration.
February 24, 2022, Shenzhen – OPPO today introduced its cutting-edge flagship Find X5 Series, raising the bar on smartphone imaging and premium design.
Bursting with industry-leading highlights, Find X5 Series boasts a futuristic aesthetic that achieves clean, modern sophistication and world-first imaging experiences. These include a dedicated imaging Neural Processing Unit, which overcomes smartphone video capture’s greatest challenge – nighttime recording. This is matched with an incomparable dual flagship IMX766 camera system, unrivalled performance and ultra-fast 5G connectivity, and incredible SUPERVOOC Flash Charging technology.
“Find X5 Series elevates the Find X series to a whole new level of beauty – both aesthetic and in terms of capabilities, redrawing the boundaries of the mobile experience across design, imaging, battery technology and performance. It builds on the core DNA that made the Find X3 Series a hit with consumers and critics alike,” said William Liu, President of Global Marketing at OPPO.
4K Ultra Night Video and Captivating Photography
Night video presents a major challenge for smartphones, so countless beautiful moments remain either uncaptured or saved in low quality. That’s why OPPO has designed a dedicated imaging NPU, MariSilicon X, to unveil the details at night.
Based on a 6nm process crafted for top-tier imaging performance, the MariSilicon X not only packs the most powerful AI computing power available today, it also runs an advanced AI noise reduction (AINR) algorithm designed by the OPPO Research Institute. This means it can detect and reduce noise in each frame, pixel by pixel, while preserving finer detail, skin tone, colour accuracy.
The result is a four times improvement in perceived night video resolution, less grain and superior colour reproduction, making 4K Ultra Night Video possible for the first time on an Android smartphone, with each frame as clean as a still photo.
Of course, OPPO’s MariSilicon X is just one key element of Find X5 Pro’s advanced imaging system. The wide and ultra-wide angle cameras both feature Sony’s advanced 50MP IMX766 flagship sensors, with a sensor size of 1/1.56”, 2um large pixel size after binning.
The wide angle camera also features a first-of-its-kind Five-axis OIS system, which when combined with proprietary algorithms, improves with every use to counter hand shake, reduce noise and sharpen scenes. The result? Even better shots and more stable videos than ever.
With superior 4K Ultra Night Video capturing across wide and ultra wide cameras, the Find X5 Series boasts the best wide and ultra-wide imaging quality across both stills and videos in the industry.
Working closely with Sony to customise an IMX709 sensor for Find X5 Pro’s front camera, OPPO has integrated MariSilicon X to ensure selfies look better than ever, with more texture and more accurate colour reproduction – even in challenging light conditions. And when more friends jump in the frame, the selfie camera automatically switches from an 80- to a 90-degree wide-angle, making sure nobody’s left out.
OPPO Find X5 Pro also features Hasselblad Natural Colour Calibration in Pro Mode and a range of creative Master filters, bringing iconic natural colour, professional colour profile and style to mobile photography.
Futuristic Design with Premium Look and Feel
Find X5 Pro embodies a futuristic design to express a sense of calm and timeless beauty that cannot be matched.
The ultra-hard, true ceramic back of Find X5 Pro is available in Ceramic White and Glaze Black to reflect its clean, modern sophistication at its finest. This seamless ceramic back panel is two times stronger than any conventional glass panel, and double as effective for heat dissipation. And of course Find X5 Pro is splash, water, and dust resistant with a IP68 rating.
Find X5 Pro’s display is just as impressive, featuring a 6.7-inch ultra-clear curved AMOLED screen that continues the gentle curves and flowing lines from the smooth, pristine back, all the way around to the front. With a WQHD+ resolution, and 100% P3 colour gamut coverage, Find X5 Pro’s 10-bit screen displays more than 1 billion colours, creating smooth tonal and colour gradations, displaying the full depth and range of even the most subtle shifts in colour.
Find X5 Pro also boosts display performance with the first multi-brightness colour calibration of its kind, creating colours that are consistent, whether you’re looking at the screen under dim artificial light or under a bright summer sky.
Excessive amounts of specific types of light can impact sleep and result in eye strain, so OPPO has introduced 8192-level screen dimming to the Find X5 Pro, to match pupil adjustment speeds across different lighting conditions. The result is a more comfortable viewing experience, and amongst the most advanced eye care available on a smartphone.
Most Powerful OPPO Flagship to Date
Powered by the latest-generation, multicore Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 processor, Find X5 Pro is supercharged to handle even the most demanding games and applications. Based on a compact, 4nm manufacturing process, Qualcomm’s integrated 2022 flagship GPU offers 30% higher performance, and 25% more power efficiency than the previous generation, in addition to enhanced AI capabilities.
Despite its class-leading power, OPPO has doubled down on efforts to boost battery life on Find X5 Pro and level-up power management. The large, 5000mAh dual-cell battery reflects a capacity increase of more than 11 per cent over Find X3 Pro.
Find X5 Pro also introduces Battery Health Engine, which helps maintain optimal battery life over a longer period of time – up to 1600 charging cycles, roughly two times the industry standard lifespan.
With the support of enhanced 80W SUPERVOOC Flash-charging technology, Find X5 Pro can be charged from close to empty to 50 per cent in just 12 minutes, and with 50W AIRVOOC, it powers up to 100 per cent wirelessly in just 47 minutes.
ColorOS 12.1: Intelligent and Secure
OPPO’s human-centric interface, ColorOS 12.1 is its most beautiful, intuitive and personal experience ever. Combining with Google’s Android 12 operating system, it delivers incredible experiences and class-leading privacy features, while maintaining full access to the Google Play Store and its 3 million+ apps.
For ColorOS 12.1, time has been spent refining the aesthetics, from iconography to patterns, elevated with light and shadow to create a more real, three-dimensional feel. Maintaining the privacy and security of your data – whether personal or for business is also a top priority and a key focus for ColorOS.
With version 12.1, users can easily make the most of their new Find X5 Pro. And when multitasking on your phone alone isn’t enough to get things done, a new Multi-Screen Connect feature enables seamless working across a Windows PC and phone.
Maintaining the privacy and security of your data – whether personal or for business – has always been a top priority and a key focus for ColorOS. These efforts have been recognized by third party organisations including ISO, ePrivacy, and TrustArc and in November 2021, the Find X3 Pro was the first Chinese smartphone to receive MDfPP common criteria certification.
Introducing OPPO Find X5
OPPO Find X5 has an understated, yet ultra-premium finish, with frosted, matte glass and fingerprint-resistant chassis. Available in Black or White, the fine grain of this 90% frosted texture creates a beautiful, almost silky lustre that plays with light and feels incredible in the hand.
Find X5 also includes the outstanding dual IMX766 camera system, powered by MariSilicon X, a 6.5” 120Hz billion-colour display, support for 80W SUPERVOOC charging, 30W AIRVOOC wireless charging and more.
OPPO Enco X2: Hear Beyond Sensation
The first-gen OPPO Enco X gained worldwide popularity with class-leading acoustic performance and elegant design. OPPO continues its collaboration with Dynaudio – introducing the latest update to its flagship wireless earbud: OPPO Enco X2.
Enco X2 features a coaxial dual-driver design, which is often seen only in high-end audio products. One is the quad-magnet planar tweeter, which takes care of the treble with a frequency response from 20Hz to amazingly 40kHz, providing excellent transient response and high resolution across high frequencies. The other is an 11 mm dynamic driver, featuring the ultralight diaphragm inside, delivering a rich, immersive bass with less detail loss.
What’s more, OPPO Enco X2 offers an industry-leading noise cancellation capability with a 45 dB maximum depth and a 4 kHz maximum width. The 45dB depth helps you find a quiet corner, no matter where you are – whether at work, on a bus, or even in the air.
And with the support of 5.2 and LHDC 4.0, OPPO Enco X2 supports a code rate up to 900kbps, offering an incredible, end-to-end high-fidelity sound when compared with Find X5 Pro.
- OPPO Find X5 Pro is splash, water, and dust resistant, and has been tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP68 in compliance with GB/T 4208-2017 (China)/IEC 60529 (international). Splash, water and dust resistance may decrease over time as a result of normal wear. The IP68 rating means that the product has passed tests under the following conditions: (1) immersed in still, fresh water with a depth of 1.5 metres; (2) in water for 30 minutes; (3) in water where there is no more than 5°C difference between the water and product temperatures. All these tests were conducted in a lab environment. Do not charge a wet phone. Do not submerge the mobile phone completely underwater or expose it to seawater, chlorinated water or liquids such as drinks. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty.
- The outermost lens of the wide-angle camera has been upgraded from resin to ultra-transparent glass, which reduces chromatic aberration by up to 77.39%.
- With the HDR Fusion algorithm, MariSilicon X Imaging NPU can, theoretically, reach a dynamic range of up to 20 bit in RAW fields.
- 4K Ultra Night Video mode supports video shooting at 30fps.
- Hasselblad Natural Colour Calibration runs on Pro Mode of the camera.
- OPPO Find X5 Pro utilises a customised IMX709 sensor with a super-sensitive, RGBW pattern on the front camera, which allows the sensor to capture 60% more light. A dedicated RGBW Pro pipeline supported by MariSilicon X processes W and RGB signals separately, resulting in selfies with sharper focus, more accurate colour reproduction and higher clarity.
- The OPPO Find X5 Pro front camera automatically switches to wide-angle mode (90°FOV) when identifying multi-person selfies.
- OPPO Find X5 Pro’s rear ultra-wide camera has an angle of 110.3°.
- The 10-bit colour depth display can capture around 1.07 billion colours.
- JNCD, Just Noticeable Colour Difference, refers to the bare minimum colour difference that the human eye can perceive. JNCD on OPPO Find X5 Pro is about 0.4 under Natural Mode.
- OPPO Find X5 Pro introduced 8192-level dimming of the screen, offering up to 12 brightness adjusting solutions to match the pupil zooming speeds in different light shifting conditions.
- The data of Qualcomm® Snapdragon® 8 Gen 1 is from Qualcomm® official website.
- 5000mAh is the typical capacity. The rated capacity is 4880mAh. OPPO Find X5 Pro uses two 2500mAh series-connected cells (2440mAh is the rated capacity of each cell), powering the phone with a total capacity of 5000mAh.
- The data of charging cycles was obtained from laboratory testing.
- The charging data of 80W SUPERVOOC was obtained through laboratory testing.
- The charging data of 50W AIRVOOC was obtained through laboratory testing. Actual charging time may vary.